Estimated Bycatch Mortality of Marine Mammals
Annual mortality estimates for 2012, 2013 and 2014 are calculated using the ratio estimator with stratified annual fishery effort data for 2012 to 2014 and aggregate bycatch rates for 1997 to 2014. Read More . . .
Population Dynamics of Juvenile White Shrimp
We used estimates of shrimp density, growth, mortality, and secondary production during an 84-d sampling period to compare the value of nursery habitat for juvenile white shrimp among 3 salinity zones. Read More . . .
Sink or swim? Factors affecting discard mortality
Using logistic regression models, this study predicted immediate discard mortality was positively correlated with increased depths, seasons associated with warmer water temperatures, and external evidence of barotrauma. Read More . . .
Comparative Assessment of Gulf Estuarine Systems
Our main objective was to assess variability in overall estuarine area within watersheds, the amount of different fishery habitats in each estuary, and some habitat characteristics that may be important in supporting fishery species. Read More . . .
Seafood prices reveal ecological disturbance
Coastal hypoxia (dissolved oxygen ≤ 2 mg/L) is a growing problem worldwide that threatens marine ecosystem services, but little is known about economic effects on fisheries. Here, we provide evidence that hypoxia causes economic impacts on a major fishery. Read More . . .
- Seafood prices reveal impacts of a major ecological disturbance.
- Fishery habitat in estuaries of the U.S. Gulf of Mexico: a Comparative Assessment of Gulf Estuarine Systems (CAGES).
- Sink or swim? Factors affecting immediate discard mortality for the gulf of Mexico commercial reef fish fishery.
- Population dynamics and secondary production of juvenile white shrimp (Litopenaeus setiferus) along an estuarine salinity gradient.
- Estimated Bycatch Mortality of Marine Mammals in the Gulf of Mexico Shrimp Otter Trawl Fishery During 2012 and 2014.
- Ontogenetic shifts in diet and habitat of juvenile green sea turtles in northwestern Gulf of Mexico.
- Length-Weight Relationships, Location, and Depth Distributions for Select Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Species.
- 2016 Brown Shrimp Forecast.
- Shrimp Fishery to Re-Open Off Texas on July 15, 2016.
- Higher Dimensional Linear Models: An Application to Shrimp Effort in the Gulf of Mexico (Years 2007-2014).
- Rehabilitated sea turtles return home.
- Texas will close to shrimp trawling on May 15, 2016.
- Modelling Community Structure and Species Co-occurrence Using Fishery Observer Data
- Simulating environmental effects on brown shrimp production in the northern Gulf of Mexico
- Our 9th Annual Ocean Discovery Day was held on March 12, 2016 at the NOAA Laboratory in Galveston, Texas.
- Salinity Selection by Juvenile Brown Shrimp (Farfantepenaeus aztecus) and White Shrimp (Litopenaeus setiferus) in a Gradient Tank.
- Estimating Natural Mortality Rates of Juvenile White Shrimp Litopenaeus setiferus.
- Shrimp Fishery to Re-Open Off Texas on July 15, 2015.
- 2015 Brown Shrimp Forecast.
- New England Cold Stun Turtles Released.
- Variability in salt marsh flooding patterns in Galveston Bay, Texas.
- NOAA NMFS Shrimp Exhibit at Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s Sea Center Texas in Lake Jackson, TX.
- Our 8th Annual Ocean Discovery Day was held on March 14, 2015 at the NOAA Laboratory in Galveston, Texas.
- Small-Scale Nekton Density and Growth Patterns Across a Saltmarsh Landscape in Barataria Bay, Louisiana.
- Sternal Spines in Penaeid Postlarvae (Decapoda: Penaeidae): Life-Phase-Specific and Systematically Significant?
- 2014 Brown Shrimp Forecast.
- Home range, movement rates, and habitat use of queen conch, Strombus gigas, in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands..
- Juvenile growth and mortality effects on white shrimp Litopenaeus setiferus population dynamics in the northern Gulf of Mexico..
- Three decades of US Gulf of Mexico white shrimp, Litopenaeus setiferus, commercial catch statistics..
- NOAA Fisheries Announces a Cost Sharing Program for the Electronic Logbook (ELB) Program in the Gulf of Mexico Shrimp Fishery.
- Hydrodynamic regulation of salt marsh contributions to aquatic food webs.
- Kemp's Ridley Hatchlings arrive at Galveston Sea Turtle Facility for first time in over a decade.
- SPGM Electronic Logbook (ELB) Program Enhanced Using Cellular.
- Successfully Rehabilitated Loggerhead Released.
- Shrimp Fishery to Re-Open Off Texas on July, 15, 2013.
- 2013 Brown Shrimp Forecast.
- A Comparison of Salt Marsh Construction Costs with the Value of Exported Shrimp Production.
- A Comparative Assessment of Gulf Estuarine Systems (CAGES)
- We've picked a winner in our Ocean Discovery Day Logo contest!!
- Saturday, March 23, 2013 NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service and National Ocean Service hosted the 6th Annual Ocean Discovery Day.
- Characterization of the U.S. Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic penaeid and rock shrimp fisheries based on observer data.
- Sea Turtle Saturday Feb. 16, 2013
- Ocean Discovery Day 2013 Date Announced!
- 07/03/2012 :
- Texas Opening Announced: July 15, 2012
- 05/08/2012 :
- Texas Closure Announced: May 15, 2012
- 05/07/2012 :
- Sea turtle tours are back and available by appointment only.